The Kurdish-led Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) announced on Sunday that they captured the Tabqa air base, 45km west of Raqqa, the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL) group’s de facto capital in Syria.Earlier this week, US forces airlifted SDF fighters behind ISIL lines to allow them to launch the Tabqa assault, and on Friday the alliance reached one of the dam’s entrances.SDF forces were within 10km of Raqqa from the north, and aimed to effectively surround the city before launching an assault.
Besides recapturing the dam, SDF said the U.S.-backed operation also aimed to block any advance by Syrian government forces from the west.The landing forces airdropped into Syria seized four small villages in the area west of Tabqa and cut a main highway that links the provinces of Raqqa, Deir al-Zor, and Aleppo, Scrocca said.The SDF cut the last main road out of Raqqa earlier this month, narrowing in on the city from the north, east, and west.The only way in or out of Raqqa now is over the Euphrates River that borders the city to the south.
- Army kills scores of terrorists in Deir Ezzor and Hama, destroys their vehicles
- 290 gunmen and their families leave al-Waer neighborhood in Homs
- Chief of General Staff inspects army positions in Hama’s northern countryside
- Army kills all members of ISIS group in Damascus Countryside, destroys terrorists’ gatherings and equipment in different areas
- حلف خماسي لمحاربة سورية,,, بقلم: عمر معربوني
- ما تداعيات فشل الإرهاب في الجولة الأخيرة من دمشق إلى حماة..؟ بقلم: العميد د. أمين محمد حطيط
- مصدر في منشأة سد الفرات : تضرر جزء من السد جراء المعارك في محيطه
- سد الفرات يدخل مرحلة الخطر…ويخرج عن الخدمة مؤقتاً؟
- النصرة تحشد قادتها في ريف حماة … الكشف عن هوية أبو الحارث المصري …بقلم عبد الله علي